Monday, April 30, 2018

400 Miles!

We headed out at about 9:30 again this morning. The mornings have been foggy and cold. I actually snapped the following photo yesterday morning, but forgot to include it. Just as I took the picture, a random hiker walked into the frame to get his bear bag. I think it adds a nice touch to the photo.


My pack is heavy again, so I'm not getting much relief in that department. I'm having a little trouble with trench foot in my left foot, but I have some ointment that is taking care of it. It's caused by constant exposure to cold water or mud, so it's pretty common on the Trail, especially given the weather we've had up to now. Forest's paws are doing much better than mine, I'm glad to say!

I found ramps and rock lettuce today, which were a nice addition to my usual trail food. We passed the 400-mile mark this afternoon! Virginia is coming up fast!


After hiking a little over 16 miles today, we arrived at a campsite just about a mile short of Moreland Gap Shelter at about 5:45 this evening. It's pretty secluded, and there isn't a water source, so I don't expect company here. I'm beat. Tomorrow should be a relatively short day to my next resupply stop, and then I'll have another quick overnight stay before forging ahead toward Virginia.

2 comments:

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...