Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Black Bear Resort

Back in January, my wife and I made a trip to Round Bald on Roan Mountain via Carver's Gap to try out Forest's gear and see how he made out in cold, windy, rainy weather. My wife followed us to shoot video, and he performed like a champ. Yesterday, we reached the exact same spot, so I shot video again. This time it was a beautiful (although still windy and chilly) day. It's amazing to see how much more muscular Forest's hips and shoulders are now, and it felt like a real victory to be in this same spot actually hiking the Trail. I'm so proud we've made it this far, and I know that we will get to Mt. Katahdin. Cell service is spotty, at best, so the video didn't upload until sometime today. The following screen captures were taken from the video.













Just like Max Patch, Round Bald is a little under 2 miles from the road, so it's another wonderful place to hike and bring the family. I plan to come back here with my wife someday, and stay overnight at Overmountain Shelter, which is a historic red barn at Yellow Mountain Gap.


This morning we left Moreland Gap Shelter at about 10:15. We only had 8.8 miles to go until we reached the Black Bear Resort (mile marker 419.6), where my next resupply package was waiting. My wife reserved a cabin for us, so that we can get a good night's sleep before the push to Damascus, which is only about 50 miles away. Black Bear has 1/4 mile of frontage on Laurel Creek, which is stocked every other week with Rainbow Trout. Ohhhhh, this may be tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...