Friday, March 16, 2018

Rocky Bald

After having breakfast and packing up, we headed out at about 10 a.m. today. It was such a beautiful day; perfect for hiking. The kind of day that makes you happy just to be alive, on a mountain, with a dog. Taking the morning slowly for a change, we focused on the scenery around Wayah Bald more than miles.







After stopping for lunch at Licklog Gap at about 1:45, we continued on through Burningtown Gap and caught a quick nap. I lost my balance and fell a couple of times today (it would have been hilarious to see...must have looked like my backpack got mad at me and out of nowhere slammed my head in the dirt); no harm done. True to his training, each time Forest ran back to me and tried to scoop me up with his nose. When that didn't work, he stood and braced perfectly, so I could use him to get up. We are definitely in synch when hiking.




Once we got to Cold Spring Gap, I had a decision to make. We could camp there, but then it would be a very long day tomorrow if I wanted to get to the NOC in Wessen in time for a meal. I decided to get enough water at Cold Spring Gap to get us through breakfast tomorrow and then continue on to a small camping area 2.5 miles farther up the Trail, which resulted in a total of 10 miles for the day. We set up camp near Rocky Bald at about 6:30 p.m. Unfortunately, the only place to camp was on a slight slope. Forest and I keep sliding to the low side. I guess we'll be sleeping very cozy tonight.




Tomorrow the plan will be to get to the NOC at Wessen in time for dinner and then travel on just a bit to camp, or backtrack a mile to a shelter, so I can get breakfast on the way back through.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see the pup is eating again. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man! It was a huge relief that the food was the only issue.

    ReplyDelete

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...