Thursday, March 15, 2018

Wayah Gap

When I got up this morning, I repacked my and Forest's backpacks. I was able to send 2.2 pounds of my gear home, which helped to make up for the increased weight in Forest's food. By the time the shuttle got us back to the Trail near Winding Stair Gap, it was about noon. Although he doesn't really look it in the picture below, Forest was really excited to be back. So excited that we hiked 8 miles in 3.5 hours! His tail was wagging the entire time. I think getting him back on his regular food has energized him; plus, we were both better rested, and I think we are both getting our trail legs.


We completed about 8.5 miles and stopped for the day at Wayah Gap (my maps are in my bear bag, which is hanging in a tree, so I don't have the exact measurement). It's windy, but we are sheltered somewhat where we are camped. It's like a mini tent city here, as we are in what is called "the Bubble." The number of people on the Trail is essentially a traveling bell curve that gets smaller and smaller until it stabilizes at the 300-mile mark. The Bubble is the middle, most-populated part of the bell curve.


We should be in Wesser, NC, at the Nantahala Outdoor Center in about 3 days, but I've decided to push straight through to Fontana Dam before my next stop. I have supplies packed for 7 days. There's a chance of rain almost every day for the next week, but highs are supposed to be in the 40s and 50s at least through Tuesday. Rain is okay at those temperatures. The only times when it's a little chilly is when we pack up in the morning and when we stop and make camp at night.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent job with the blogging so far. This record will be an excellent example to live by for the generations that follow you. Your walking the walk.

    ReplyDelete

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...