Sunday, March 18, 2018

Rufus Morgan Shelter

We started out a little late this morning because of rain. Both Forest and I love to sleep in when it's raining, and I didn't feel too much of a sense of urgency because I knew we only had a 7-hour hike ahead of us.



We waited for a break in the rain to pack up the tent. Cuben fiber really pays off on rainy days. It's similar to plastic in that it does not retain water like nylon tents. So, there's no water weight to carry; just shake it off and fold it up. We finally got moving a little after 11. We headed out figuring on a sloppy day, with maybe an occasional freak view. Boy, was I ever wrong. It turned out to be the most beautiful day I could have imagined, with views that made me just want to sit and gaze forever.



A little while later, Forest let me know that there was some major trail magic going on down in Tellico Gap. He always smells it first. Trail Angels are the best, just amazing people; boy, did that Coke taste good. I'm really starting to relax and enjoy it out here. Everyone is so friendly; I truly am rooting for everyone who is attempting a thru-hike this year. Somewhere after lunch, Forest's raincoat slipped off my pack. If anyone happens to come across it, please let me know either via comment here or via the Appalachian Trail Class of 2018 Facebook page. Otherwise, I'll be hunting a new one at the outfitters in Wesser.


After lunch, we continued on until the majesty of the view stopped me in my tracks. We live in an absolutely beautiful country. I feel so sorry for people who don't have the opportunity to see it, or even know about it. Fontana Lake in the distance, backed by the Smoky Mountains. I was completely stuck here for about an hour, even though I knew I was still about 4.5 miles from Rufus Morgan Shelter, our target for the day. One day I will be back with my wife, and we'll just sit here for a few days with my DSLR camera on time lapse.






We stopped for the night at Rufus Morgan shelter, which is about a mile away from the NOC. Lots of thunder and lightning, so we are hunkered down in the tent. Because the vistas on the Trail delayed me so much (and because, to be honest, I stink!), we didn't make it to the NOC for dinner. Instead, we'll head there for breakfast tomorrow. Total miles covered today: 9.5






No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...