Friday, September 7, 2018

Leaving the Hanover Inn and New Hampshire!

I spent most of the morning trying to figure out a way to fit all of my supplies and food into one of my alternate backpacks. Unfortunately, it just wasn't going to work, as I didn't have a rain cover or a top for one of the packs.


I decided I would just have to use the ZPacks pack that I repaired until the replacement arrives. After I checked out of the motel, I took the boxes they had arrived in to the post office and mailed them back home.

I forgot to mention that on our last descent out of New Hampshire and into Hanover, one of my trekking poles broke in half. It saw me through over 1,100 miles, and just gave out. It's hard to see it in the following photo (captured from video) because it was foggy and my phone was wet, but the white line at the top is the top half of the pole, and the little white line on the ground behind the blur that is Forest is the bottom half of the pole. I have some tape and other supplies, so I tried to put them back together as best as I could, but I don't know if it will work. I was expecting my gear to start failing, but I sure didn't think that everything would go at the same time. I guess this is just one of those Murphy's Law weeks ("whatever can go wrong, will go wrong").


 At about 1 p.m. we headed back out on the Trail. I only had to hike about a mile to the bridge over the Connecticut River to cross the border into Vermont. One more state down. We hiked along roads through Lewiston and Norwich until we reached the Elm Street Trailhead, at which point we headed back into the forest and walked up and down rolling hills toward the first shelter in Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...