Saturday, August 18, 2018

Wildcat Mountain to Pinkham Notch and the AMC's Joe Dodge Lodge

We spent some time waiting for the weather to clear this morning. It was raining when we got up; just as it stopped and we were ready to get going the wind picked up. I finally made the call to head out at about 11 a.m. because we need to get to Pinkham Notch for my next resupply package before I run out of food for Forest. I'm hoping to pick up my package, repack quickly and get back on the Trail. A 12-mile stretch that is above treeline with no water sources and a heavy pack is coming up. We won't be able to stop in the middle of that section, so I want to get as close to the beginning of it as possible today.

We climbed the remaining peaks (there are 5 total—A/B, C and D/E) of Wildcat Mountain, crossing several bog bridges. At the summit, there was a wood platform, from which we could see Pinkham Notch and Mount Washington. As we crossed the summit, we came to Wildcat Ski Area, the site of the first enclosed gondola lift in North America. The hardest part of today's hike was the descent down the western slope to Pinkham Notch, which drops 2,000 feet in 2.1 miles. This section included steep, unprotected sections of open ledge and large wooden steps, so I had to slow Forest down and be very careful descending.


Once we got to the bottom, it was just a mile to Pinkham Notch and the AMC's Joe Dodge Lodge, where my resupply package was waiting. I recharged my battery pack while I ate and repacked, and then headed about a half-mile down the Trail in the dark to stealth camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...