Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Gentian Pond Shelter to U.S. 2, Shelburne/Gorham

We woke up this morning to clouds and rain, but were motivated to get on the move to my next resupply point, which was about 10 miles away. When we left the shelter, we passed Gentian Pond, began a steep climb toward the west and then descended through more swampy woodland (yuck). Next, we crossed the inlet brook of Dream Lake and briefly followed a logging road. Then, we went up a small ridge and downhill again to cross the west branch of Peabody Brook and began to climb again. After we reached Wocket Ledge, the Trail descended steeply, and we crossed the Page Pond outlet beaver dam. Three minor peaks followed. After we descended from those, we climbed Cascade Mountain (2,631 feet) and descended into a valley where we took a quick break for lunch.

When we got moving again, we climbed Mt. Hayes, which included a series of open ledges. I imagine the view from those would have been pretty spectacular...on a sunny day. As we hiked away from Mt. Hayes, we crossed a logging road and a brook and then followed a series of roads down to the U.S. 2 trailhead (Mile Marker 298.3), which was my next resupply stop. We caught our shuttle and headed to the motel where my packages were waiting. After we got cleaned up, we headed into town to pick up a few things. Before we headed in, Forest and I practiced his retrieval skills a bit—it helps both of us to stay fresh on his commands.



After we got back from town, we grilled hamburgers for dinner. I have to tackle my resupply box and get reorganized, but I may have to leave that for morning. Right now, I'm feeling drained, sore and exhausted. We're socked in with heavy rain; maybe that will lull me to sleep if there's no thunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...