Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Frye Notch Lean-to

After feeding Forest, having breakfast and collecting water, we headed back down the Trail at about 9 a.m. Still sore, but forging ahead. The first mile of our hike was a steady descent down to the East B Hill Rd/Andover Rd trailhead, which is where the Trail intersects with that road and the Dunn Trail. About a half-mile later, we had to cross the West Branch Ellis River and the Trail started climbing again toward the summit of Surplus Mountain. By the time we came to the Frye Notch Lean-to (Mile Marker 261.4), we were done for the day. Mother Nature and these mountains just don't care about my body or my feelings. We keep arguing, though, and they won't win!  ⛰😠

I'm starting to get really excited about Mahoosuc Notch, which we should come to Friday or Saturday (barring weather delays—you can't hike the Notch when it's raining). People tend to call Mahoosuc Notch either the most fun or the most horrible mile of the entire Trail. It's also the slowest mile, taking most hikers anywhere from 2-4 hours to complete. I love a challenge, so I'm looking forward to it. Another hiker who has been keeping about the same pace that I've been keeping has also offered to help with Forest if I need it, as there are places where I will have to lift or lead him. The extra set of hands may come in handy, and I'm grateful for the offer.

I still love Maine, but I can't stand these &#@&^%$* bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...