Thursday, July 26, 2018

West Peak, Horns Pond Lean-to and Stratton, Maine

We got up early this morning to just more pouring rain, wind and thunderstorms. I had originally planned on picking up my resupply package in Stratton and moving straight on toward Sugarloaf and Saddleback Mountains, but the weather was just too miserable to keep going much further today. Instead, I decided to get a room for the night at the hostel where my package is waiting. We left Bigelow Col Campsite this morning at about 7:15 with about 8 miles to go to the trailhead.

Often, we're hiking through clouds at this elevation. Even when it's not really raining, we're being pelted with droplets in the cloud, almost like being sandblasted. Between my glasses being covered in moisture, and being knocked over by the wind, it's been a tough 2 days.


Soaked to the skin and beaten by the rain and wind, we arrived at the ME 27 trailhead (Mile Marker 188.2) a little after 3 pm. We were picked up by the shuttle shortly after that and taken to the Stratton Motel and Hostel, where we were met by the kindest and most accommodating host, "Trout." A fellow veteran, Trout was great to me, going above and beyond, a true brother. He made sure Forest and I were dry and comfortable as quickly as possible. If you're ever near Stratton, Maine, and need accommodations, I highly recommend:  The Stratton Hotel and Hostel

I picked up my resupply box (Yeah! New shoes!) and headed to the room to dry off and shower, before going out to find food. While I ordered a burger and a milkshake, Forest showed off a little in the restaurant by demonstrating how good he is at ignoring food dropped right in front of his nose. He was trained to ignore things on the floor, so he wouldn't endanger himself by picking up dropped medications or foods that are toxic to dogs. I can't promise that he is this disciplined around my 5-year-old, but when he's wearing his work gear (i.e., vest and head harness) he knows these things are off limits.


After dinner we headed back to the hostel and fell into bed. Forest and I are both beat from all of the up and down climbing and rock navigating over the past days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...