Saturday, July 28, 2018

Day 2, The Stratton Motel and Hostel

Since the weather report was just calling for more rain and wind Friday, I decided to stay put, get my gear organized, rest up and do some further planning for the coming mountains. I spent some time relaxing out back of the hostel, sitting under a tree and watching the river flow by. When I saw an otter and two loons, I went inside and got my phone from the charger, but by the time I got back outside, they were gone. Finally, I checked out Forest's paws to be sure they look healthy for the coming mountains. I've read that their paws get stronger, thicker and tougher the more they hike. Over 800 all-terrain miles on these paws, and they look great!


I'm also so happy to have my new shoes for this next stretch of trail. Thanks again, Thomas M. Anderson, Jr.! The last rock climb did the last pair in; less than 400 miles on those.


This morning (Saturday) we got a little bit of a late start. Trout has been so good to us that I wanted to wash our sheets to get Forest's hair off them for him. One less thing for him to do after we leave. We hit the trail a little before noon and headed south toward the mountains of western Maine. According to Maine Today Media, "This rugged 32-mile stretch is considered the most difficult section of the AT in Maine, with a daunting 10,000 feet of elevation gain over eight high peaks. Saddleback, The Horn, Spaulding, South Crocker and North Crocker all exceed 4,000 feet, and ambitious hikers can up the ante with side trips to Mount Abraham and Sugarloaf, two more 4,000-footers. Sections of exposed alpine terrain add to the challenge, but the reward is far reaching views that’ll knock your hiking socks off." We are supposed to have mostly sunny days Sunday through Tuesday, so I'm hoping to be able to enjoy those views fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...