Thursday, September 20, 2018

Back to the Bennington Trailhead

I was up by 7 this morning because I had a lot to do before I checked out of the Catamount Motel. I had to unpack my resupply package and redistribute things in my pack. Then, I had to download the next section of Guthook maps for Massachusetts to my phone, figure out my next resupply stop beyond the one already set up and let my wife know what that would be. When she asked me how I was feeling today, I said, "Ummmm...like coming home. Duh!" Yeah, I can be a smartass sometimes.

Part of my resolve to continue this hike has decreased, but there is one very important reason that motivates me to continue. I have a 5-year-old son. If I were to quit before I finish, I'd be telling him that it's okay to quit and give up. He's watching what I'm doing so carefully; I don't want to lose credibility with him, so I need this hike to be an important lesson for him.

The hiker that had stuck with me since Maine decided this morning that he just couldn't afford to continue any longer. He was out of funds and needed to go back to work, so he hitched to the bus station. I had mixed feelings about his leaving. It was less stressful for me when he was along for the toughest parts of the Trail, in case I needed help lifting or lowering Forest, and knowing he was there was definitely comforting to my family and close friends. I definitely appreciated that. On the other hand, we had been sharing some of my resources, so being back on my own would allow me to plan logistics better (e.g., how long food would last, battery pack life). It sure seems quiet now.

Once I got my pack and the plan for the next section squared away, I checked out of the motel and a member of the staff drove Forest and me back to the Molly Stark Trail Trailhead. A branch of the City Stream ran along the road from town and past the trailhead. It was already afternoon, so I decided to camp along the Trail for the rest of the day to tie some flies, chill out and let my mind wander for a bit. I haven't done that for so long, so I really enjoyed the peaceful afternoon. It was like hitting a reset button for me.

I had forgotten how much I hate camping near roads. Weird, random things always seem to happen. After I collected water and was getting ready to make dinner, someone walked up next to me and asked if I wanted a hit on what he was smoking (it was NOT a cigarette). Pot's legal here and people smoke it openly, but it's bizarre when you're not used to it. I said no thanks, and he walked away. I texted my wife about it and gave a very detailed description of the person and his friend, just because they didn't look like hikers, seemed a little strange and had set up their camp so close to mine. Then, I went to cook my dinner. A few minutes later, I picked up my phone and saw that there were about four texts from my wife, each with increasing concern, and one missed phone call. It seems that my detailed description of two sketchy guys camping near me for no apparent reason sounded like a crime scene, and then my failure to respond to her texts were met with alarm. She was mad at first, but then we laughed about it. Just one more thing she has to put up with when I'm on the Trail. 😱😁

In just 42 miles, I'll be leaving Vermont, entering Massachusetts and moving on to my next Guthooks map section, which covers Great Barrington, Massachusetts, down to the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. The states will be going by more quickly now, and I know that will be motivating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...