Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The Whites and Unpredictable Weather

One of the most frustrating aspects of my hike has been the rapidly changing weather we've experienced in almost every state. All of my careful planning of food and the timing of supplies for me and Forest, and all of my wife's hard work on resupply shipments, can be completely undermined by a sudden change in temperature, storms, wind and wind chill. The forecast for today is yet another example.


This morning I had to make the difficult decision to stay put for another day. I have to weigh risk versus mileage gain, and today the risk is just too high to continue hiking above treeline around Mt. Monroe and onward over Mts. Franklin, Eisenhower, Pierce and Jackson. It's supposed to clear tomorrow and the winds are supposed to decrease, so we will push on then to get below treeline.

I ended up paying $15 and sleeping on the dining room floor last night because they were filled to capacity. I had to get up and pack by 6 a.m. so they could set up breakfast for the strange rich people who are willing to pay $120 for a bunk. Then I was able to sit at the table until they set up for dinner. Tonight at 9:30 it will be back to the dining room floor and then up and out early tomorrow. We are allowed to help ourselves to any leftovers, though. After a day of weird day hikers all trying to one-up each other, I'm ready to be back on the Trail. I think Forest is ready to be off the clock for a day, too; he hasn't had much play time lately. We're looking forward to the end of the Whites.

At about noon today, representatives of the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) approached us and told all of the thru-hikers that they didn't have room for them today/tonight and they had to leave...in this dangerous weather. I calmly told them no and to go ahead with whatever steps they needed to take next, but that I would sue if they forced me out in dangerous weather. Amazingly, a spot suddenly opened up. Appalachian Mountain Club, aka the Appalachian Mountain Monopoly Club.

In the meantime, here are some more photos from yesterday. I enlarged the last one so you can appreciate what I mean by a rock scramble.







No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...