Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Rangeley, Maine: Day 2

We took the shuttle back into town again this morning because I needed to finish charging my phone. I received a memory stick from home, so I also wanted to download all of my pictures and videos to it to free up memory to take more. I also did laundry and ate and ate and ate; the usual things we hikers do when we're in towns. More pizza and Coke. By the time I got everything done, it was too late to move up the Trail, so we are spending another night at The Hiker Hut.

I had sent my plans for the coming weeks to my wife, so she's been spending all of her free time (what little she has) packing and shipping resupply boxes. We had a room full of supplies before I left, but it's just about cleaned out so she's having to start restocking now. I'm afraid to add up the cost of all of this, plus shuttles, plus hostels and motels, plus food in towns, etc., etc.


For anyone contemplating a thru-hike, you have to consider this part of the process carefully. If you don't have a dynamo at home like I do, to make sure all of your supplies are carefully weighed, packed and shipped on time to a hundred different destinations, you may not be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...