Sunday, July 22, 2018

Moxie Pond Rd to Caratunk

After we broke camp this morning, we set out on our 10-mile hike to Caratunk, where my resupply package was waiting. We hiked out through a low, swampy and buggy area and crossed a brook. After that, the trail began to climb to the top of Middle Mountain. At this point we took a break, and I finally found some ripe blueberries for lunch. (While at the Lakeshore Lodge, I was able to delete some photos that were duplicates or fuzzy, so I was able to take a few new ones today.)




After our break, we hiked on past Pleasant Pond Lean-to, at the northernmost edge of Pleasant Pond, and continued along the mountain ridge to the top of Pleasant Pond Mountain. I've heard that you can see Mt. Katahdin from there on a sunny day, but it was cloudy and rainy today. A steep 2,200-foot descent led us down to the US 201 Trailhead (Mile Marker 151.2), and from there it was just a short walk to The Caratunk House to pick up my package.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, keep it going. Haven't commented much here, but have been following along all summer. Looking forward to the next update.

    ReplyDelete

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...