Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Flagstaff Lake

Today's hike took us through relatively easy terrain. We crossed Sandy Stream and Middle Road shortly after leaving. Then, we skirted the southern end of West Carry Pond, where we passed West Carry Pond Lean-to. From there, we crossed Pond Stream and wound around Roundtop Mountain. Just after crossing Jerome Brook, we passed the trailhead at Long Falls Dam Road and hiked to the southeast edge of Flagstaff Lake, where I decided we would stop for the night and set up camp a little before 8 p.m. (around Mile Marker 170).


It's very windy by the lake tonight, which is making waves on the water. The trees are swaying, which is moving us around. Usually I like the sway of the hammock and sound of the wind, but tonight it worries me that branches could fall on us. My cell signal is weak, but I was able to text with my wife for a bit.

It's not crowded on the Trail right now. We pass a few NOBOs a day. Most of the SOBOs who started at the same time as us have either passed us or fallen behind or quit.

I realized today that I left everyone hanging yesterday about the ferry. Forest did great in the canoe; he seemed to actually like riding in it and wasn't in the least bit nervous or afraid. I truly think this dog was a thru-hiker in a previous life! 🐶🐾⛺🚶

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...