Sunday, July 15, 2018

Cloud Pond Lean-to

We headed back out on the Trail at a little before 8 a.m. today. The following elevation map shows the roller coaster ride we had to take for the next 11.5 miles. We were beginning at the bottom left corner, and our goal was the orange pin at the top right.


Maine is tough in spots, with lots of roots and rocks to navigate. It sure is pretty, though. Today was more rock climbing than hiking, so it was very slow going. When we got to Chairback Mountain (about the middle of the elevation map), we had to climb an incredible rock scramble in the rain. Some of the boulders were the size of cars. I just have one thing to say: My dog is a bad ass. I think search and rescue dogs must have posters of Forest in their doghouses for inspiration. He climbs like a pro, and his trainer says she can't take credit for that—it's just in his blood!




We had to take a rest after navigating that, but still had 3.5 miles to go, including three climbs and two descents (see the elevation map below). I took advantage of being on the top of the mountain to call my wife; it's always so good to hear her voice, especially when I'm starting to run out of steam. It reminds me that every step south is a step closer to home.



We had to stop for another short rest before the last mile-long mountain climb, but by the time we were ready to go, we were also racing a storm cloud. If the storm had hit before we got to Cloud Pond Lean-to (our next water source), I would have had to stop in the gap and set up camp there. In that case, I would have had to collect rainwater from the tarp to get us through the night. Fortunately, we were able to outrun the storm, and finally climbed the last mountain and reached Cloud Pond Lean-to (Mile Marker 95.4) at about 6:45 p.m. I collected water and set up camp. I think we will both fall into the hammocks tonight, but it feels good to know that we will pass our 800-mile mark tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...