Friday, June 1, 2018

Fishing Laurel Creek

Sorry, I was out of cell range last night. The Laurel Creek was a perfect spot for wild trout, so I decided to stay put yesterday for some fly fishing therapy. I met a few other veterans who were also fishing, so I had some company. While there, I caught my 31st trout on the Trail and my first crawdad, both on a fly graciously provided to me by James Carey. (Thank you, sir!) I wish I had better pictures, but these were captured from video I shot, partly while holding my Tenkara rod in my mouth—not an easy feat! Forest wasn't much help, but he got to cool his paws in the creek.




This morning, we hiked about 7 miles down to the U.S. 52 trailhead to the Brushy Mountain Outpost in Bland, VA, which is a restaurant, ice cream store and hiker restock location. From there, we shuttled about 2.5 miles to the Big Walker Motel (also in Bland) to clean up, recharge batteries, let Forest play and spend the night. After fishing, I feel energized and ready to forge ahead tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...