Sunday, June 3, 2018

Holy Family Hostel in Pearisburg, VA

After picking up my resupply package at Woods Hole Hostel, I moved on to Angels Rest Hikers Haven to pick up another small resupply package that was waiting there. Unfortunately, I arrived too early this weekend to pick up my new glasses, which my wife express-mailed on Friday, so I had to cool my heels in Pearisburg at the Holy Family Hostel until Monday. This donation-based hostel is located on a peaceful plot of land.


Last night, I had just fallen asleep when I heard someone yell out in their sleep. It scared me for a second, but then I realized that it wasn't me for a change. It's somehow a little comforting to know that other people are fighting their demons on the Trail, too.

I left my pack and Forest's pack on the ground last night when we went to sleep. When I went to get them today, I realized that they were infested with earwigs. I dumped at least 200 out of our packs, and then immediately set up our hammocks so that everything would be off the ground from that point on.


I had nothing to do this afternoon but hang out, plan and work on some new materials. First, I made an adjustable lanyard using some paracord that I found in the hiker box (a box where hikers drop anything they find they don't need). It will come in handy for carrying small items and for keeping things out of the way under the tarp when we're in our hammocks. If you're interested in learning how to make one, there's a YouTube that's easy to follow here:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nTadpl6Lg.


I'm also working on an idea to replace Forest's underquilt with some lightweight insulating material (e.g., Reflectix, Prodex) that will keep him cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold. With that and some type of Sunbrella fabric that I can mount to the top of his pack, I might be able to keep him cooler during the day. It could also serve as a raincoat for now, and a warmer coat when we move back into cooler weather.

While I was working on the lanyard, Forest managed to catch and eat two bees, which stung him in the mouth. As required by Canines for Service, I took a canine first aid course before setting out this Spring, so I was prepared for this with Benadryl just in case he was allergic. Luckily, he didn't show any symptoms, so after dinner we headed off to WalMart to pick up some ear cleaner for him.


I won't lie. This thru-hike has been stressful and frustrating for me. I am missing my family a lot, and I have days when everything seems just impossible and overwhelming. However, I remain determined; I know I can do this and finish it. Thanks for being there to cheer me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...