Saturday, May 12, 2018

Fishing the Whitetop Laurel Creek; Thomas Knob Shelter

When I looked through our food supplies yesterday, I figured we could afford to zero for the afternoon. We stopped in two spots along the Virginia Creeper Trail to fly fish the beautiful Whitetop Laurel Creek.


It was a quiet, peaceful afternoon that both Forest and I enjoyed. Both wild and stocked trout swim in these waters, including brown, brook and rainbows. More information is available here: https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterbody/whitetop-laurel-creek/



At this point the Appalachian Trail and the Virginia Creeper Trail merge to follow the same path. I always feel renewed after fishing, so I set a goal for about 14 miles today. We set out at about 7:45 this morning and pushed on until about 2 p.m. It's hot, but at least there's a breeze and we're getting some shade from the tree canopy. I think Forest is so over having his picture taken. πŸΆπŸ‘…



At about 6 p.m. we set out again toward our next overnight campsite, hoping for 4 to 6 miles.  We stopped just past Thomas Knob Shelter (mile marker 498.5) to set up the hammocks for the night.

2 comments:

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...