Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Davis Farm Campsite

Note from Admin for those of you who have been receiving each post via email: Google apparently made some changes to Blogger.com last week that have affected the blogs' ability to transmit posts by email. We have contacted their support forum (as have many others) to try to get this fixed. In the meantime, you may need to manually come to the blog via your Internet browser. If you save this address as a favorite, that access will be easier: https://forestfisher.blogspot.com. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Now that it's getting warmer, I'm dividing the day into hiking/sleeping segments (e.g., four 6-hour sections). That way, we can get into a regular routine of hiking, collecting water, eating and sleeping. The down throws that I sewed into a sleeping bag for me and an under quilt for Forest worked great. It went down into the 60s last night, but I was warm and comfortable. Forest seemed to like his, too, but I removed the under quilt early this morning because he was getting too warm.

At about 10:30 p.m. while we were hiking last night, we heard coyotes howling. I started laughing because I imagined they were moaning, "This rain suuuuuuuuucks!"

We stopped hiking at the Davis Farm Campsite (mile marker 576.4) at about 9:15 this morning and set up the hammocks. That's a total of about 18 miles since we were dropped off yesterday, consistent with my plan to hit about 10 miles a day. Spot went through this morning, so last night the problem was probably cloud cover and storms. We are on a steep bank, but with the hammocks, it doesn't matter. Plus, when we are set up in porch mode, we have extra protection from the rain and can look out at the view of Burke's Garden (if the clouds lift). In the following picture, I'm pointing to a tent set up down the bank; it's just like the one I sent home when I switched back to hammocks. I hope they are enjoying sleeping on the ground more than I did.



I was able to cut 12 pounds out of my backpack, so I'm down to 28 pounds (not including water). I picked up an extra Sawyer water filter and two more liter bags, so I can collect more water now. I left my MSR PocketRocket stove at home because now I can cold soak my food and Forest's food instead. All that means is that each time I stop to eat, I put the next meal and water into a ziplock bag and put it in my Titanium pot. By the time we stop to eat again, the water has rehydrated the food and it's ready to eat.   I do the same with my instant coffee/hot chocolate blend; combine everything into a 1 liter bottle when I go to sleep, and it's ready to drink when I wake up. Not only does this save the weight of the stove, but also it makes us more efficient because we don't have to set up the stove and cook each time.


It's getting warmer today; my glasses keep sliding off my face. I also have a few projects I want to get done today, like fixing the shock cords on Forest's under quilt. My head isn't quite back on the Trail yet, so I need to settle in and transition back to hiker. I'll most likely get up early in the morning and push on.

I was thinking a lot last week about the issues we have had going into hostels, stores and restaurants. In the interest of cutting weight, I had not been carrying my Canines for Service vest with me. I thought that having Forest's ID card fastened to the top of his backpack was all I needed. Looking back on it now, I realize that that may not have looked official enough. So, I have sewed Canines for Service patches on his backpack, and I plan to also attach Do Not Pet and Do Not Distract patches as soon as I get some. Hopefully, this will help eliminate some of the access issues we have had.


And last for today, I want to thank Jason Sparks at Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing again for the Badger Tenkara Scout. I have beaten this 10'6" rod to death for almost 600 miles on this hike, and it's still rewarded me with about 30 fish so far. I mainly Western style fly fish, and it's done me well. Thank you, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...