Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Hogback Ridge Shelter

We got an early start this morning at about 8:45, anticipating a 15-mile day. The following photo was taken from a video I shot yesterday during the snowstorm. I'm glad to see a mostly sunny day today.


When we took a break for lunch, I finally had a decent cell signal so that I could call my wife. It was so good to hear her voice. One of the problems I've had when I stay at hostels is that everyone congregates in places that have Wifi, and they all bring their dogs and don't pay attention to what they are doing. Consequently, they all try to sniff or play with Forest, and I can't concentrate on a call or get anything done online. For that reason, I tend to just avoid those areas. Another reason it will be good to get beyond the Bubble.

At about 4:30, we took a break at Devil's Fork Gap near a waterfall. It was hot hiking, even though the temperature was only in the low 70s, and Forest and I were both tired. The sound of falling water was so peaceful; I just wanted to sleep right there. We still had 4 miles to go, though, so I forced myself to get moving again.


We arrived at our destination, Hogback Ridge Shelter (mile 316.9; elevation 4,263 feet), at about 7:30 p.m. It was about all I could do to get water, make dinner for us and set up camp. I have a feeling I'm going to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...