Sunday, March 25, 2018

Home Sweet Home and the Plan to Return

After seeing some of the reports from the Smoky Mountains trails and Clingmans Dome, I'm really glad that I made the decision to leave the Trail for a bit. The shelters were full beyond capacity as people huddled to stay warm and out of the worst of the weather. Temperatures were reported to be in the teens, with single-digit wind chills. In addition, the 15-mile stretch of road to Gatlinburg, TN, didn't reopen until Thursday. Gatlinburg was where I was to pick up Forest's food and resupply, so we would have run out while we were stuck waiting. I'm hearing from others that this has been the worst March weather in 100 years. Since it's my first time hiking with Forest, why chance it? I won't ever risk damaging the incredible four-legged gift I've been given.

I've had a chance to repair/replace some gear and relax while I've been home. We had an early birthday celebration for my son so that I could be there for it; happy days. The plan right now is to return to the Trail on Wednesday, my wife's next day off. It was just too much to ask for her to drive out after working a full day again; we didn't get home until almost 2 in the morning last Wednesday. I have to say, she is the best trail angel ever!

For those of you who have been asking how Forest is doing on the Trail, he has taken to it like he's been hiking his whole life. He never seems to take a misstep, and matches his pace to what I ask him to do; we are totally in sync. Because the Trail is so narrow, he has to walk in front of me instead of in his usual Heel position. I created a couple of new commands (e.g., Go Ahead) and adapted his usual Easy, Faster, Left and Right commands, so it's like having three different gears, a coasting speed and turn signals. I just attach his leash to my hip belt with a titanium carabiner and we're off; I imagine it's like having a sled dog that lopes along at a steady speed instead of running. I'm just along for the ride!

And here's a tip if you hike with a dog that carries a pack: Forest's was getting wet and droopy because he wasn't carrying much. I added some closed-cell foam to the inside walk of each side, and he seemed much more comfortable.

More once I'm back on the Trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...