Friday, March 30, 2018

Fontana Dam Shelter: We're Back!

Forest and I are back on the Trail, as promised. Earlier tonight, we were dropped off back near Yellow Creek Gap to resume our thru-hike where we left off last week.


Forest was full of energy and seemed so happy to be hiking again. We traveled from Yellow Creek Gap to Fontana Dam Shelter (about 7.5 miles), where we are camping tonight. Unfortunately, it is really crowded here, and being the last into camp at about 9 pm guaranteed us the last flat, clear ground in camp: right next to the privy. 😷



Having the last week off gave me the chance to rethink some of my trail plan. I'm determined to make better progress than before now that we have our trail legs. Part of my challenge has been that I haven't been sleeping well. Because of the issues with my back, I really need to be in a hammock, which was my original plan. I'm working on how to get both myself and Forest into it. If I don't figure it out by the time I get to Damascus, VA, I can talk to all of the vendors about it at Trail Days.

I'm pretty loaded down right now. Our next resupply stop will be Standing Bear Farm/Hostel. We should be there in 7 days. Onward into the Smokies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...