Tuesday, July 17, 2018

800 Miles Accomplished and Monson, Maine

Motivated by the thought of food that isn't freeze-dried or vacuum-sealed and a Coke, we were up and moving at 6:45 this morning. We arrived at the Maine 15 Trailhead at 1 p.m., after passing my 800-mile mark. I caught the afternoon shuttle to the Lakeshore House Lodge in Monson, where I have a reservation for 2 nights.


I'm zeroing here for two reasons:
  1. First, so Forest and I can rest, recuperate and recharge after the difficult climbing we've done over the past week. I am so proud of Forest. It was tough.
  2. Second, to evaluate the terrain coming up in Southern Maine and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, which are supposed to be even more challenging than the 100-mile Wilderness.
When I arrived in Monson, I picked up cigarettes, pizza and a Coke to take to my room for lunch. Then I went to the Lodge and showered. I weighed myself tonight.  I'm down from about 170 pounds to 164. I managed my weight much better through this section of the Trail, but I still have to be very careful to replenish calories and nutrition whenever I have the chance. After relaxing for a while (I don't have a cell signal in Monson, so I couldn't call my wife), we went down to the Pub for dinner. My wife would be proud of my appetizer choice. 



Here are a couple of pictures from this week that I didn't include previously. I love the one of Forest looking down at the falls.



I absolutely love Maine. It's a true sportsman's paradise. I love the views and the terrain, and I've never seen such crystal clear water in the lakes and streams (I'm still kicking myself for leaving my fly rod at home). The only drawback seems to be the mosquitoes and black flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...