Monday, April 23, 2018

Rewind...Uncle Johnny's Yet Again

It felt so good to sleep on a mattress last night in the bunkroom. Refreshed, I was all packed up and ready to go, but was met with the following ominous view.


In checking the weather report, I learned there were high wind warnings up until 2 a.m. Tuesday. I decided to wait a bit and see if it began to clear at all, but then we started getting reports from hikers on the mountain of winds in excess of 50 mph, falling tree limbs and overflowing shelters. Some people that left this morning actually came back. At that point, I had no choice but to zero again. As a result, I had to come up with a new plan because I would no longer have enough food for Forest to reach the next resupply point. I called my wife and we decided she would express mail some of his food to me at Uncle Johnny's. I'll have to wait here tomorrow until it arrives (hopefully no later than noon). As soon as I have it, we will hit the Trail. If we can't make it the 12.6 miles to the campsite that was our original destination, we only have to hike 4 miles to reach Curley Maple Gap Shelter. I am eager to get back on the Trail and get out of this Bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...