Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Yellow Creek Gap and a Temporary Break

I arrived at Brown Fork Gap Shelter after dark last night, so I didn't see other campers. At about 8:30, it started to pour rain and continued late into the night. A family must have been in camp; for about an hour during the storm I could hear a child having a meltdown. Finally, it rained hard enough that it lulled me to sleep.

After I woke up this morning, I learned that the weather in the Smoky Mountains was about to get ugly. Heavy snow was predicted, beginning around 8 p.m. tonight, and continuing through 8 a.m. Thursday. Up to 10 inches of snow was expected along the highest ridge tops, with 3 to 6 inches expected from Fontana Dam to the Tennessee border. I was supposed to be in the Smoky Mountains tomorrow. Because of this weather, my next stretch of hiking would take longer than expected--longer than the rations provided in the resupply box that I was picking up this evening. Besides that, I had lost Forest's rain jacket and was unable to purchase another at the NOC, and my phone and power pack were not fully charged. I decided this was a recipe for disaster. So, tonight my wife is coming to pick me up and take me home for 4 to 5 days. I am fortunate that I live close enough to be able to do this. It will give the weather a chance to clear a bit and give me a chance to charge all my electronics and make some repairs to my gear. This is why it is so hard for me to take zero days to fish or just enjoy nature when the weather is nice. Days taken off for storms or injuries add up quickly and can completely throw my carefully planned schedule.


After I made my decision and when the rain stopped for a bit, I packed up camp and began to head toward Fontana Dam, where I was expecting my wife to pick me up. The weather was incredible at the ridgeline: spotty sunshine to one side, and completely dense fog to the other.



At about 3:30, I decided to stop at Yellow Creek Gap (mile 158.4) and have my wife pick me up there instead. This is where she will drop me off after the weather clears and it's safe to resume my hike. I'll be checking back in then, if not before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How It All Began

In August 2017 Canines for Service Inc. in Wilmington, NC, provided Service Dog Forest to me (U.S. Army Veteran "Fisher"). It was ...